Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Grazie per ongi singolo momento nostro"


It’s strange to think that this time next week I will be back in the United States (not at home because we are moving my dad to Shreveport, but the States none the less).  I am having trouble figuring out how I am going to adjust being back, even though I have only been here 2 and a half months, this has become normal for me.  First off my house is going to be so empty (when I finally make it home) because my dad won’t be there, my brother will still be at debate camp, I won’t have the Sabatos.  Even though my dogs tend have outbursts of barking fits, it won’t be the same as Roberto’s “MAAAAA!!!”, the blaring of Riccardo’s music, Maralia on the phone walking around the apartment, and Lello’s “CIAO Lindz!”.  Second I will be able to understand everything that is said around me when I go to the mall or to a restaurant (can you say English overload?).  Third I won’t have the sea, the Nicholson’s pool will have to do J.  On the other hand I will get to have Pei Wei and Fantastic China again, lentil soup and hummus (from work), CHIPS AND SALSA.  Oh and I guess it will be good to hangout with my family and friends again.  J

And as my trip is winding down (seriously I feel like I am in like a vortex of time right now) I have been doing so much reflecting on this summer.  It has definitely been a rollercoaster, but the kind that my uncle would take us on, at Silver Dollar City, over and over again if the line was short enough because we loved it that much.  Today I have 5 days left, it feels like yesterday that I had just a week till I was supposed to arrive! It feels like yesterday that I got off the airplane in Naples and saw Maralia’s shining happy face waving at me.  It seems like yesterday that I walked into the house to big hugs from Roberto and Riccardo.  It seems like yesterday that I sat in the car with Lello talking about my Italian lessons for the summer.  I am a major homebody, I love my family very much and I don’t like being away from them, but this summer that went away (for the most part) because an equally amazing family surrounded me.  (I may or may not be bawling my eyes right now).

My whole life I grew up hearing stories about my “Italian family”. They were sort of like “rock stars” or mythical, magical beings in my mind. I just couldn’t wait til I finally got to meet them.  Then in 2007 I finally met them and I loved them instantly.  They maybe weren’t rock stars or mythical beings, but they were real and they were faces to put with all the stories.  Now after spending the summer with them they really are family.  I am so lucky to have them. 

Roberto:  I don’t know if everyone knows that my brother is my best friend.  We do almost everything together.  I think it was almost the hardest to be away from him this summer.  He is the one that gives me new music, shows me the funny videos on you-tube, tells me how it is, (he never sugar coats anything for me).  This was Roberto this summer.  It’s hard to describe, but I just clicked with him.  He made it easier for me to be away from William.  I mean down to introducing me to new songs (some being American songs) that I hadn’t heard to the “no Lindsay…no” (usually that kind of honesty would hurt my feelings, but for some reason I could take it from him).  So many beach trips, walks on the Villa, tuna fish and tomato sandwiches, “Lindsay make up your mind now”…”hurry up!”, the best bear hugs, and “saving” my life multiple times. When Zio Lello brought up the idea of Roberto coming home with me for a few weeks this summer, even though he didn’t want to (and I completely understand) I was pretty excited about the idea (that flight is too long for anyone to have to do by themselves, that’s really the only reason I wanted him to come ;)) Ti volgio bene sir :] I’ll miiiiiiiisssssss youuuuu! 
 Roberto and me :] 


Riccardo:  I have found my best friend.  Seriously.  I don’t even know where to begin with all the things that he and I think are so funny that no one else would get. Such as walking down the street singing about what we were doing or using the “William Tell Overture” not only for the motorbike theme song, but also as a theme for just about everything we did. We made up “itinglish” which is what we spoke most of the time.  There were so many times that I just needed a hug and I knew that I could go and get one from him.  I have been to the library more in Castllammare with him than I have been to the library in Little Rock ever.  I was introduced to the cappucione and Kung-fu Panda (two of my new favorite things).  There were a few days in a row that I didn’t see him and my day felt incomplete, just meaning that every other day we were joined at the hips.  I am going to save you all and not post all the inside jokes because there are so many.  Your welcome.  Kung-fu love and Kung-fu miss you already.  

Riccaro and me at the Harry Potter movie (yes...in italian)
 

Maralia:  What and extrodinary lady! I have been so blessed to spend so much time with her.  She has been my mom away from mom this summer, starting with helping me decide which dress to buy to trying to get a splinter out of my foot.  We went on many walks, shopping together (she has a great style), we painted our nails together (we tried to paint one of my hands with stripes like on the American flag for the 4th of July), we went to the beach countless of times (she tans a lot easier than I do, like my mom), we studied together (she studied English and I studied Italian and we spoke to each other in those languages) we ate so much ice cream together (it is very hot here, you have to eat ice cream everyday to cool off ;])  we laughed together (again too many jokes to try and sum up here).  I am going to miss her so much to say the least.  

Me and Maralia!


Zio Lello:  I wouldn’t be here if Lello hadn’t of decided to study abroad all those years ago :] I can’t even begin to start thanking him for this experience. Non ci sono parole. I not only I learned some Italian this summer, I learned some English words (the one’s that only our grandparents still use hahaha!) and I learned where a lot of words come from (latin, greek).  With the help of Zio Lello I spoke in front of group of people in (not great) Italian, but I didn’t back down (which was a big deal for me, because I don’t even like doing that in English).  Really I was just plain lucky to be in the presence of such a remarkable man and be able to call him “zio”.  Again thank you so much for this summer! 

(I don't have a picture of Zio Lello yet)

I AM SO SAD, but I am trying to optimistic. I get to see my family, help my dad move into his new house. Spend a week with just my mom. WILLIAM WILL FINALLY GET HOME.  I am just going to miss my Italian family and friends so much.  This summer really has been the summer of my life! I have a wonderful time and been so blessed to get to spend it with all of these great people. :] Vi voglio bene!!

5 comments:

  1. lindsay that was very sweet, i cried. bc i am a baby. i love you and i cannot wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said, Lindsay. Now you have some idea of how I felt saying goodbye to Lello in Charlotte in the summer of 1978 (oddly, I left him in the US when I went to Turkey for the summer!). But it is so much easier to stay in touch these days--with blogs for example! You are blessed to have dear friends around the world. Feel very blessed. Now come home safely. We are looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questo messaggio will be in itinglish.Lindsay with you will lose una parte del nostro heart che volerà via con te. Also if io sono sicuro che tu will came back early. La mia previsione è che usermò skype while you are in usa and i in salamanca. E poi ci meat again here in christmas and however i am going to came in usa early. Questo mi consolerà per il periodo that we don t see. I am not telling u goodbye (come zio lello) ma just "bye at tomorrow"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess it is my turn to write down a few words. I am usually shy as to writing comments in blogs or the like.
    But the kind words you, Lindsay, wrote, describing our family members and family life, caused the consequence, first of all, that I felt I should express our gratitude; secondly, that I should overcome my habit of reserve ("old fashioned word") and also express my own and our collective (as a family) feelings a few hours before we “have” to put you on your plane … back to the USA!
    Coming to gratitude …
    So, thank you, Lindz, for having accepted to share our life for about three months. You haven’t been lucky: no traveling, no visiting friends, no eating out too much. What you shared is not what Italians usually live like: one son, taking three exams at the University and at the same time preparing to leave for his longest stay abroad so far; the other son, studying hard ( :) ) to prepare his final exam in high school, which in Italy is very demanding (on students, not necessarily on families); the mother, engaged in what is probably the hardest trial of her life; the father, writing a lot and lecturing even more (you have been involved in some activities), other than doing his ordinary work; both parents, busy to keep up with all this studying etc.
    Nonetheless: it was a pleasure having some ten Italian lessons for you, and getting straight your pronunciation and grammar. I am very proud (and you should be very proud), as you now know basic Italian, and you can work on it on your own… It was a pleasure trying to make your life easy, helping you with little errands, etc., and that you found in Marilia and myself reliable friends with whom to share doubts and questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What we are most happy is that you found in Riccardo and Roberto true friends and, maybe, some sort of “Italian brothers”.
    Coming to feelings…
    What is sure is that all your dear ones, and your Mom and Dad, as well as William, missed you when you left and will be happy to have you back. This is the regular course of life, and your return to the USA will be no exception. You will enjoy that and we are happy for you all.
    It is much more complicated to tell what we – your Italian friends – feel. You should know, Lindz, that – just in the way in which you Americans, when children, are taught that spelling out your feelings will make you feel good – we are taught, instead, that you should not …
    So, it is complicated. We, as a family, have grown up on the concepts of being flexible, dealing with some degree of openness to adventure, and accepting uncertainty and anxiety. We have often moved as a family, trying to adjust to new climates, cultures and lifestyles; but we had never been in the position to seeing, from a close distance, somebody you care for doing the same concerning your climate ("Lindz, put your sun screen on"), your culture, your lifestyle…
    Well, after the initial excitement began to wear off, Lindz, we – as a family – started to "appreciate" the fact that you "appreciated" the little things, did not mind that we spent lots of hours working with Riccardo repeating his notes, or with Roberto writing his thesis, took it easy and gor organized on your own.
    Lindz, we loved that – differently from many other friends from abroad – you never showed yourself helpless, irritable, fearing to be disregarded. It would have been normal. Probably you have felt this way; we haven’t noticed. Thank you.

    You have learned to use our language, food, dress, social roles, values, customs and ways of communication. We appreciated that a lot, and are sad that we will not continue to enjoy your comments on that.
    It is all too obvious that we feel sad that you are now leaving. And we wish you could stay a little longer. I worked toward postponing your departure, but that wasn’t possible. Our thought, however, is that postponing departures is not a good idea. A good idea is to come back! When you wish and as long as you wish, in a way compatible with your study plans and family obligations (and, by the way, requesting a multiple entry visa in advance)!!!!
    As we have tried to help during your stay, we will help on your return in the near future. And we want William, as well.
    Coming to the final part of this note …
    I would pay a 100$ to be with your parents and brother when you are back home. We are curious to know what they will notice about the little of Italy you are carrying with yourself. They will notice, and - above all and for sure - you will notice, too.
    Still today, I notice the little of USA I bring around with myself, thanks to the wonderful experience I had - when I was younger than you – living a year with your Dad, your Grandma, and Grandfather. Thanks to them, a friendship is continuing over generations. My wish is that this may go on, through you (and William, Riccardo, and Roberto).
    Skype, email and Facebook will be great ways of connecting and staying in touch in the next few months, until you are back. Let us keep in touch.
    Love,
    Lello (and Marilia, who joins in a strong hug, wanting to say how much she enjoyed going out to buy young women’s clothes, instead of young men’s clothes she always felt uneasy at evaluating…).

    ReplyDelete